Monday, June 16, 2008

Too Soon?

There are those that think that dancers need to be at a certain "level" before embarking on a weekend dance event. Fair enough... My first convention was Summer Dance Camp in Palm Springs (my mom talked me into it and I reluctantly combined a work trip in Riverside with the travel to the desert). I sort of knew how to do a side pass, a push break, and could BARELY do a whip. (And I might add that I did none of them well. I was still counting out loud and ignoring small details like the "lead".)

I told everyone that I was a beginner (and I did that for the first year of my dancing) and rather than being intimidated by the level of dancing - I was INSPIRED! I remember watching the Novice Jack and Jill competition and thinking, "If only I could do that...."

After dozens of workshops, watching competitions, and hours of dancing (hello - do the pros REALLY come out at 3 am? yes that's when the fabulous floor show begins), I was hooked. And with sore feet and other sore body parts, I couldn't wait to do it again. (Yes I ventured up to South Bay a few weeks later by myself.)

So I say - it's never too soon! Take the plunge - enjoy our lovely west coast swing dance community - take it all in - and have fun!

Let me know how your first dance convention went!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree it's great to get out to a dance event sooner rather than later. It will get you hooked and motivated to keep learning.

My first event was Palm Springs too, but New Years rather than Summer. I went after only going to a six week beginner series class. I didn't stay to watch the "Invitational" Jack n Jill since I didn't know what Invitational ment, but I've watched that particular Invitational Jack n Jill on video at least three dozen times since then :)

Palm Springs is a great first dance event, since it is laid back and fun, and they do have the beginners boot camp.

It's always interesting to hear where people started out at. It's hard to believe how far we've all come.